We’re doing a series of changes to the website in an effort to make it more useful, attractive and easy to use and maintain.
- The menu structure has been reorganised to make the site easier and more logical to navigate.
- A list of the most immediate future events, and a scrolling list of recent posts, are displayed to the right of most of the pages (including this one – or below the main content on smartphones and tablets).
- There are tables of key times and dates at the bottom of the right side of most of the pages (including this one), and at the bottom of all event listings.
- These tables show: boatman hours; high water; and opening hours for the clubhouse, bar and office; for each day of the season.
- You can change the number of rows displayed, page through the whole season, and search for particular dates or days.
- Currently there are two tables. The first has all the information that’s currently confirmed from now to 1st Nov. The second has the boatman hours and tides from the start of the sailing season, and will be removed once the season starts.
- There are categorised events listings in each area of the website – racing, cruising, social, training etc.
- There are “Blog” pages in several parts of the website which show “posts” (like this one) that are relevant to that part of the website – e.g. racing, cruising etc.
- All posts are listed (newest first) on a page in the “Club News” section.
- The idea is that:
- future events will be in “events”;
- current and recent news will be in “Posts” (these will stay on the site but will move down the list as new ones come in);
- “pages” will be used for persistent information likely to be relevant for a considerable period – months, or the whole season. This will reduce the need to update pages frequently, and the embarrassing tendency for unmaintained pages to become out of date.
- “Forum posts” are little used and may be phased out. They are still used for items for sale, particularly boats. They are summarised on the left of most web pages and can be seen on the Members’ Log-in page.
- There is now a private area for members only under the “members’ log-in” page. You can only see these pages on the menu if you are logged in. Currently there are two members’ only pages – “club products” and “information for members“. The latter now has the forms and information for this summer’s mooring and yard storage.
- If you don’t have a member log-in and want one, please email Sandra. We have cleared out a lot of old logins which did not look like current members. If yours got cleared out by mistake – sorry! – please contact Sandra to get reinstated.
- Events – dates and descriptions are now on the website for all RFYC and FCYC social events, and for the 2015 FYCA open races and regattas around the Forth. The rest of the season’s events will be posted shortly, once the Sailing Calendar for 2015 is approved.
- The default events display is now a list view. You can select a day or calendar-month view using the “VIEW AS” box in the top right of the events display area.
- Some of the pages look slightly odd in some display formats – for example the sidebar information doesn’t appear on the event pages, and the header image doesn’t go all the way across very high resolution displays. These are compromises we have had to make to ensure the website displays properly in the widest range of devices – small and large PCs/Macs, tablets and smartphones. It’s hoped these will be resolved in the longer term when we update the website’s “theme”.
Any feedback on whether you like the changes, what you find useful, any device compatibility problems, and suggestions for future development would be very welcome.