Reports on 2013
Cruise in Company –  3/4 August 2013

Well it sort of happened.  With the prevailing conditions, and in order to accommodate those members who wanted to go on to ovenight at Port Edgar, the plan this Saturday was to go upstream.  Seven boats attended the briefing in the clubhouse, and it was agreed that we would try the sandy bay of Port Laing between N Queensferry and Inverkeithing as the wind was consistent from the South West .  The fall back, at least for the smaller boats and those not going on to Port Edgar was to go for the small bay to the north of Inchcolm.

As everyone headed out to the boats, Neil Moffat headed to GO Outdoors as he had forgotten his sleeping bag and was forced to buy a new one.

Anyway, Embleton was one of the first boats out of the harbour to find rather rough water (not the “slight” forcast by the Met Office) with the wind touching 5 gusting 7.  This did not suit Embleton at  all and even with 2 reefs in and a restricted staysail and no jib, she could not settle down, even on a fine reach.  ( We later found tha the staysail halyard had jammed at the mast so could not be tensioned properly.)  Nonetheless she set off towards Inchcolm or as close a heading as she could for it.  Meanwhile, Aziana, Solveg and Shuvler, as well as Hoodlum, managed to get close hauled with heavy reefing and shot up river.  And we underrstand that they managed to get to Port Laing.  How many others even got out of the harbour we shan’t know till later reports come in.  Certainly Tomara put her nose out and drew it straight back in again.  Serenity was the other boat not going on to PE and we wait to hear where it got to.

Well Embleton bounced across towards Aberdour, eventually dropping the main which was too much and continuing under reduced staysail and engine.  Radio contact was attempted with the rest of the fleet, but there was no response.  We later found out that the aerial cable had come away at the mast, wheeked out by the flailing sheets.  But after about 45 minutes we gave up and turned back towands Granton, eventually winding the staysail and finishing under engine alone.  The picnic at the mooring in the harbour was good though.

We did hear from the little fleet that managed to get up river.  See Tom’s report here.

A Night Sail for the Fireworks

Festival Fireworks Night is 1 September 2013 and it has been reported that this looks spectacular from out on the water.  So is anyone interested in:

– sailing to Silversands in the afternoon and anchoring for supper;
– night sail back from about 21:00 viewing the fireworks enroute – heaving to as necessary!
– back to the pontoons or moorings at Granton by 24:00

Responses to Graham Mitchell at the club email address or to the Cruising Group email.

Cruise in Company – Saturday 6 July 2013 – also Night Sailing

This was the third of these popular events this year.

11 boats took part in the cruise which went to Aberdour (see Gallery photo) and moored up in the harbour. Being alongside rather than anchored somewhere meant that there was the opportunity to socialise with the other boats, on, in the case of Orithia, with their beautiful spaniel, Bonio.  Lunch was taken in a variety of forms, from alfresco to cockpit table to a barbeque on the jetty.  Facilities were kindly provided by the Aberdour Boat Club at their charming club rooms on the jetty.  See the gallery below for a selection of photos:

The gallery includes two photos of the view from the jetty, showing Edinburgh and Inchcolm from a very different angle.

One boat then peeled off to go via Fidra for  a night sail (see post).  The remaining fleet gathered for a Stern Chase back to Granton to catch the boatman.  Peak Flow acted as the start boat, but had to delay the start for a few stragglers to clear the harbour.  This unfortunately confused the staggered start for some of the competitors but it did not impact the result.

Looking for the start

Looking for the start


On the start line

On the start line

The stern chase was won by Solveig after a nip and tuck battle over the last half mile or so with Aziana who was leading her all the way until then.  Needless to say the blame was laid on the sail trimmer (GM) on Aziana where Graham Mitchell was stowaway.

Unfortunately the main fleet of 5 slower yachts were unable to compete over the last leg with the fading wind at that point.   Fortunately crews enjoyed themselves in the
sunshine and chatting on the pier at Aberdour, plus the atmosphere in the clubhouse

Cruise in Company – Powerboats

We tend to think of ourselves as primarily a sailing club, but we have a number of RIBS and an increasing number of powerboats.

On June 1st 2013 The Royal Forth Yacht Club hosted a three Island “Cruise in Company”

rfyc powerboat1

for Powerboats organised by members of RYA Powerboat Scotland committee
and The Royal Forth Yacht Club.  See Ken Dougall’s report:RIB Cruise 1 June 2013

Cruise in Company – Saturday 8 June 2013

There was a good turn out for this popular event.  Due to the light winds it was determined that the cruise would be to Cramond Island.  Tom Wilson took a large number of great photos some of which are now on this web site.  See the post.

For the full process – see below.
Cruising in Company is a calendar event which has taken off over the past year or two.

The Concept:  “Organized and run by the membership, Yacht Clubs became a place to promote the sport of sailboat racing and cruising, as well as provide a meeting place for the particular social community” – so says Wikipedia.

Following the format of last year’s cruises, dependent on the weather and tides there will be a cruise in company to Aberdour, or other anchorages, providing an opportunity for club members (keelboats, dinghies, crew) to meet,
learn the art of coarse anchoring, perhaps exchange crews and generally socialise on the water.

Details will be communicated by: posts on the website; email; and posters on the notice board about two weeks in advance.

Suggestions / Ideas, questions are welcome – to the Organiser (see below). Look out for news here on the website at the start of and during the season.

The Process:  It starts with skippers and crews meeting up at the club house in the morning for a briefing and decision on where to sail to given the weather and the tides.  This is also an opportunity for new crews to be taken on by skippers.  Meeting times and times for the event vary accordingly.  For this year’s events see below.

The crews embark and set of for the designated destination (there may be more than one for the day).  On arrival they drop anchor, picnic, go ashore (where practical), move around the boats, etc.  If a second destination has been tabled, the fleet weighs anchor and sets off in loose convoy to the new destination.  Again various activities ensue.

Finally at a time set by the Officer of the Day (i.e. the organiser) and to start times designated by him, those yachts wishing to take part engage in a stern chase back to Granton.  This race is very much a fun race (no spinakers allowed), but there is usually a prize for the winning boat and the competition (even amongst the non racing fraternity) can get quite heated (well warm anyway).

With the boats back on the moorings it is time to meet in the bar, present the prize to the winning skipper and enjoy some food, drink and convivial company.